The Open Source Wood initiative was launched in June 2017 by Metsä Wood in order to accelerate grow thin urban wood construction. The new opensourcewood.com offers a platform for knowledge sharing and collaboration. The service is free and welcomes all organisations and individuals.
The Open Source Wood initiative aims to speed up the growth of modular wood construction by making innovative ideas freely available for all. Only a fraction of urban construction today is wood, partly because the knowledge about using wood in construction has been difficult to find. Open Source Wood gathers innovations in modular wood construction from all corners of the world and makes them available for all, free of charge.
Opensourcewood.com has multiple functions. The users can:
- Find elements, modules and components reviewed by Metsä Wood experts
- Share innovation and get feedback from experts
- Connect with other professionals
- Get support from wood construction professionals
- Contribute as writers, photographers and hackathon organizers.